Monday, January 20, 2014

Weight Training For Beginners

We’ve all been there. Sweating, exhausted and panting over our beloved *enter cardio machine of choice here*. Mine was the elliptical. I loved that thing. It was gonna glide me into that perfect physique that I believed I was always meant to have but was denied to me by the ‘Hot Body’ gods. But this week we will be different, this week we will take an active part in changing our own (and as a result, possibly others) perspective on a cardio based workout plan. This week I challenge you to drop the cardio complex and begin a life of weight training in the gym. I can already feel the reluctance so let me ask you this: Has the cardio you’ve been doing gotten you the body that you want? If the answer is yes, then keep on goin' girl and do what you love! If the answer is no then I urge you to jump in to this challenge with both feet and never look back because trust me, you won’t want to.
Before we get to the technical stuff I wanted to address some common issues that tend to push people away from the gym. The first being that many of us feel that we need to be ‘fit’ in order to go to the gym when in fact, everyone was and is a beginner at some point.  We need to love ourselves enough to allow ourselves to be a beginner and stop beating ourselves up over the fact that we weren’t born an expert in this field. No one was but the sooner you start, the sooner you’ll be in a position where the gym feels very comfortable to you and that’s when the fun really starts!
The other, possibly more crippling fear is what I like to call, gym-timidation. I myself have walked out of a workout because I was intimidated by the girl next to me who was beasting out 20lb bicep curls as I was attempting to perfect my zero weight squat. How silly. I allowed her (very apparent) hard work in the gym make me feel insecure and inadequate when it should have made me feel inspired and determined. DO NOT worry about where you fall in the spectrum of fitness. DO NOT feel inferior when using lower weights and certainly DO NOT compete with anyone but yourself in the gym. DO focus on where you want to be. DO focus on how far you’ve come (even if it’s just walking through the doors). And lastly, DO push yourself to your maximum potential because at the end of the day you are the one wearing the evidence of your labor.
Ariiiiiiight y’all get the idea, now on to the technical stuff...
Well I don’t know about you but personally I’m a HUGE fan of lists. I mean, HUGE. I literally make a list for everything that I can rationalize needing one. I developed this habit when I was in the 4th grade and realized that I was possibly one of the most scatter brained humans to have ever walked the planet. No seriously, ask any of my friends, if they could surgically implant my cell phone, wallet and keys in my body it would’ve been done about 4 years ago and we probably wouldn’t have been late to every event that I accompanied them to. Sorry guys. I’m workin’ on it. So yeah…back to the list thing. 
Too many times I would walk into the gym with no plan in mind and walk out 30 minutes later feeling disappointed because I hadn’t really done anything. I knew I had to somehow make sense of this whole “weight lifting” thing and kind of take my own approach rather than just follow what someone else did. I noticed that when I followed a routine that I found in a magazine or anywhere that half of the time I wasn’t getting a well rounded work out and the other half of the time I was frustrated because I didn’t have the equipment or machines needed to actually do the workout. I hope my explanation allows you to really create something for yourself because you’ll be more inclined to keep up with it that way. We will start with a simple approach of formulating our routine off of our lists.
So for our 1st list we are going to focus on the parts of the body. I’ve found that, for me, training by isolating my muscle groups really allows me to work towards the body that I want versus compound movements that are meant to train multiple parts of your body at once, these are usually full body workouts. This is not to say that those workouts aren’t beneficial or necessary, it’s just personal preference. I like being able to really focus my mind and body on specific areas, giving them my undivided attention.
The first time I did this my body part list looked something like this:
Biceps (front of the arm)
Triceps (back of the arm)
Shoulders (aka: delts)
Chest
Back (both upper and lower)
Hamstrings (back of the thigh)
Quads (front of the thigh)
Calf
Abs
After you have this in front of you (either this screen or on your own paper) you must make a decision on how many days you will actually be able to go into the gym. It doesn’t help you to be overly ambitious in this area, IE: choosing 6 days to start, so really think about what is feasible for you and your family. Weekends were always GREAT days for me to workout because I didn’t have work taking up most of my day so for me when I started weight lifting I knew that I could go on Saturday and Sunday and that I could push myself to go to the gym at least twice after work so 4 was the magic number I started with. If you can give 5 days that’s even better, and 6..well you get the idea. However, 7 days of the week is never advised for weight training (there are, of course, exceptions to this rule) because your body needs some time to rest and recover. 
For your 2nd list you will break up your body parts into groups based off of the number of days you will be training in the gym. Below is an example of both a 4 and 5 day workout plan.
4 days per week                                                     5 days per week
Day #1                                                                       Day #1
Bicep, Tricep & Shoulder                                       Bicep & Tricep
Day #2                                                                       Day #2
Quads, Glutes                                                           Quads & Glutes                                           
Day #3                                                                       Day #3
Chest, Upper & Lower Back                                   Chest & Shoulders
Day #4                                                                       Day #4
Hamstrings, Calfs, Abs                                           Hamstring & Calf
                                                                                    Day #5
                                                                                    Upper/Lower Back & Abs
**This is only an example, you can have your own variation ** BUT if you notice, upper and lower body are never worked out in the same day. This ensures that you will not over work that muscle group the next day. I personally tend to choose muscle groups by geographic relevance. IE….muscles that are near each other/muscles that tend to work “together”.
So now that you know what body part will be worked on what day, you need to decide which exercises you want to do for each respective part. When I first set out on my journey in the gym I decided that I would complete 3 exercises per body part. For example, I started with the 4 day plan so on Day #1 I would complete 3 bicep exercises, 3 tricep exercises and 3 shoulder exercises and I was DONE!
That’s probably my favorite part of lifting weights in the gym, that it’s not based off of the time you’re there, it’s based off of the work you put in. I was no longer a slave to the gym-clock; I wasn’t checking it every ten minutes to see when I had made an hour.  Instead, I was rockin’ and rollin’ in the gym, crossing workouts off like hot cakes (the most satisfying part of writing a list is crossing it off, right?!) I was zoning the world out and focusing on my breath, my music, my reps, my muscles working, focusing on everything else BUT the real world. Before I knew it I had crossed off my last workout and I had been in the gym for OVER an hour. What??? Did that really happen? Did I just ENJOY my time in the gym? Yep, I sure did brotha mayne, and ya know why? Because I was doing what I wanted to do, I was walking out of the gym feeling accomplished rather than disappointed. I wasn’t beating myself up over not being able to “keep up” in the boot camp class anymore; I was completing similar workouts on my own time schedule and was enjoying both the time I devoted to my workouts and my results much more.  I was focusing on MY problem areas rather than following a plan that targeted the general female problem areas.
Formulating your own workout plan is not only empowering but it’s exciting! You get to hand craft the muscle groups you want to focus on thus building the body of your dreams.
“So what exercises do I do?” Well, that’s up to YOU! Do you already have a favorite? Is there one you’ve always wanted to try? Is there one that causes you difficulty and you want to improve on it? Only you have that answer.
But would I leave y’all hangin’ like that? C’monnnn….of course not! Below is a sample of a FULL WEEK work out plan.  I chose my top 3 favorite (of the moment, because they are always changing) for each body part. I will do my best to create some videos for all you visual learners out there like myself! In the mean time, YouTube is a great resource for watching what “proper form” looks like; I’ve attached some videos for reference.
Sample Workout Plan
Day #1: Bicep, Tricep & Shoulder
B1: Dumbbell Curls | 3(sets) x(of) 12(reps) for each arm; can be done one at a time or simultaneously Short Video of DB Curls Detailed Video 
T1: Overhead Cable Tricep Extensions | 3x12 Overhead Tricep Ext. these really help you isolate your triceps
S1: Lateral DB Raises | 3x12 Lateral Raise Video < I was diggin’ his beer reference, of course
B2: Hammer Curls | 3x12 Video of Hammer Curl Form
T2: Overhead Tricep Extension | 3x12 Tricep Extension Video
S2: DB Overhead Press | 3x12 Overhead Press for Shoulders
B3: Cable Curls | 3x12 Video of Cable Bicep Curls
T3: DB Tricep Kick Back | 3x12 (each arm) Tricep Kick Back
S3: Arnold Press (w/ DBs) | 3x12 Best Arnold Press Video I Could Find
Day #2: Quads & Glutes
Q1: Quad Extension Machine | 3x12 Example of Quad Extension
G1: Cable Glute Kick Back | 3x12 (each leg) Glute KickBacks slow and controlled
Q2: Lunges (with or without DBs/Barbell) | 3x15 (each leg) Basic Lunge
G2: Hip Abductor Machine | 3x25 How To Use the Hip Abductor Machine
Q3: SQUATS (AKA: your best friend) this is a compound movement that will do WONDERS for you, I promise Proper Squat Form
            With a BB/zero weight to start
            3 x 8-10 reps
Really focus on form, push through your heels and squuueeeezzzeeeee those glutes ladies!!!!
Day #3: Chest, Upper & Lower Back
C1: DB Chest Press | 3x10 DB Chest Press Form
U1: Cable High Row | 3x10 High Row Video- Many Variations
L1: Banded HyperExtension | 3x10 Banded HyperExtension Video
C2: Chest Press Machine | 3x10 Chest Press Machine Form
U2: Bent Over DB Row | 3x10 Bent Over DB Row you can also do these one arm at a time, resting your weight with other arm against a bench/something fixed
L2: Lower Back Extension Machine | 3x10 HyperExtension Machine
C3: Cable Chest Fly | 3x10 can be done with cable high or low
U3: Lat Pull Downs | 3x10 Lat Pull Down Video
L3: SuperMan  | 3x10 each side Example of the SuperMan Workout
Day #4: Hamstring, Calf & Abs
H1: Hamstring Curl (sitting or lying) | 3x10 Example of the "lay down" curl
C1: Calf Press | 3x15 toes pointed straight ahead Calf Press/Raise
A1: Leg Lifts | 3x15 Laying Example  Hanging Example very slowwww and CONTROLLED
H2: Stiff Leg Dead Lift | 3x12 Proper Form for Stiff Dead Lift
C2:  Calf Press | 3x15 toes pointed inwards, like a duck QUACK QUACK!
A2: Plank | 3 x :30 – 1:00 (30 second – 1 minute) The Plank
H3: Traditional Dead Lift | 3x12  this is another GREAT compound movement that should be a staple in your routine Standard Deadlift Technique
C3: Calf Press | 3x15 toes pointed outwards, like a penguin...errrr what sound do they make?!
A3: Side Raises in Side Plank stance | 3x15 per side Side Plank Raises

**NOTE: Form is the most important aspect as a beginner.  THINK about the muscle you’re targeting, feel it as it’s working! Begin with a light weight/no weight until you’ve mastered your form. There is no exercise in the world worth injuring yourself over!!!**
Once you feel you’ve mastered your form, try adding in higher weights. You can experiment with lower reps as you raise your weight. For example: Week #1 you were able to complete your Lateral Raises using 3lb weights with ease, Week #2 you can drop your reps from 12 to 10 and try using 5lb DBs!
Now that you have all the basics figured out, get your butt in the gym and start perfecting that form! And while you’re there, scout out new equipment you want to incorporate into your future routines!
PLEASE, if you have any questions at all do not hesitate to leave a comment or contact me directly at BinikiFitNola@gmail.com 
I would love to connect with you and help in any way that I can!



No comments:

Post a Comment